Grammatica

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Thu Apr 21 07:53:49 UTC 2011

Dear Seelangers,

I’ve recently come across another prikol on line – this one a language application that seems interesting.

Pluses – it can take a Russian text, add stress marks, and allow the stressed text to be easily copy-and-pasted back out. It will also highlight all cases of past tense verbs, participles, femine nouns – basically whatever you ask it for. It seems to be very accurate in terms of identifying grammar and placing stress. The interface is also such that you can get hang of it by just clicking around.

Minuses – it has a “translation” feature that it would probably be better without (the programmers actually admit it’s a weak point – but I would take it out and perhaps add it back in when it could be done better). The operating file is also huge, takes awhile to install, and takes a while to analyze a text it’s given…

I’d be interested to hear other opinions of this – I’m still poking at it. :-)  You can download a full trial version (20 days free) here: http://www.grammatica.eu/Shop

There is also a video here that explains what it does (although it would seem that skype integration is not yet in the features of this release). http://www.grammatica.eu/

Best,

Josh Wilson
Assistant Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor in Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
SRAS.org
jwilson at sras.org