Beginning of Platonov's skazka "Ivan-chudo"

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sat Apr 23 15:17:13 UTC 2011

Robert,

Your first message:

The tale begins with Omelyanushko (as he is called here) lying on the
stove, surrounded by piles of his own turds.

Later, when the tsar first sends soldiers to fetch him and the soldiers
ask if he is at home, he replies, ‘Doma!  Na pechke lezhu, komy
glozhu.'  I assume he is saying he is eating [better: nibbling] his own
shit.

    Alternative faint possibility of sarcasm: in Pskov’ dialect (and
    perhaps elsewhere) komy are the pastry birds (zhavoronki) eaten on
    the feast of the Forty Martyrs of Sebaste (9 March) See Dal’, s.v.
    Kom”. However, Pskov’ is a long way from Viatka.

Then the tsar sends a second regiment of soldiers.  Omelyan replies,
'Дома! на печке лежу, колпака не валяю! Некого не боюся!' ('Doma!
napechke lezhu, kolpaka ne valyayu!... vidal, da redko migal!  Nekogo ne
boyus ya!')

I understand "колпака не валяю!" as meaning something like 'I don't doff
my cap to anyone.'  Is that right?

    Probably same as “duraka ne valiaiu”, i.e.”I am not playing the
    fool” (Dal’, s.v. kolpa, gives kolpak chelovek = prostak), otherwise
    perhaps literally and sarcastically “I am not making a cap!”
    (valiat’ is the felting process in making hats). The hero is after
    all known as “Emel’an-durak, krasnyi kolpak”.

But I do not understand "видал, да редко мигал!" видал, даредкомигал!

      A saying = “I am not scared” see similar in Dal’ s.v. migat’ and
    specimens on Yandex.

Later, he goes to the tsar's palace and the tsarevna (rather
surprisingly called Marya Chernyavka ??!!) falls in love with him.  The
soldiers tell the tsar that she is not eating or drinking, just
weeping... "кисейны рукава затирает, свои глаза доводит."

What is she doing with her sleeves?  Is she rubbing her eyes to dry her
tears and somehow making them sore?

Probably yes – dovodit’ = portit’ see Dal’, s.v.

Your second message:

Всем жили ладно муж с женой и прожили лет пять без малого, да не было у
них детей, а без детей жить нельзя, без детей совестно.

For five years the husband and wife lived in harmony in every way , but
they had no children and a life without children is no life at all; all
one feels is shame.  ??

    Should be "for almost five years" [bez malogo] and delete "in every way"
    The last bit is perhaps a little too strong - the original doesn't
    say you should feel shame about everything, only about not having
    children – the Russian seems quite conversational; perhaps “you’ld
    be ashamed not to have children” or “you really can’t not have
    children”.

Regards,
Will