Brighton Beach

Jesse Stavis jstavis at WISC.EDU
Mon Aug 8 18:02:29 UTC 2011

Dear Amarilis,

I've taken a group of 15-20 students from the Bryn Mawr College Russian Language Institute to Brighton Beach the last two years.  We usually have lunch, visit a bookstore, and take a walk along the boardwalk.  In answer to your questions:

A. Bookstore-- Sankt Peterburg (big bookstore with a yellow sign right on Brighton Beach Avenue) has a decent selection of books/CDs/DVDs and fantastic prices.

B. A restaurant: If it will just be the three of you, I would avoid any of the larger nightclub/restaurants (I'm assuming you'll be having lunch there).  We always eat at Primorski, a Russian-Georgian restaurant, which I would definitely avoid.  I also have read some pretty bad reviews of both of the restaurants called Tatiana (or maybe Tatiana's)-- one is a nightclub, the other is more of a conventional sit-down restaurant.  Be aware that some of the restauranteurs at Brighton have some pretty creative billing practices.  For example, we have been pressured to give a tip in addition to the service charge printed on the menu (But don't worry too much!  As the waiter explained after running breathlessly out of the restaurant in pursuit of our group, "Это всё up to you," a wonderfully Brighton-esque expression. I've also heard of ridiculous prices being charged for side dishes listed as "market price" ($30 for a side of fried potatoes and mushrooms).  I would also avoid any of!
  the places that are right on the beach, as they tend to be quite expensive (2 orders of ice cream and one bottle of Perrier at Volna= $18.)

I think the best bet would be to find a slightly smaller place, perhaps a bit off the main drag.  One of my students who spends a lot of time up there recommended Столовая, which she assured me is not actually a столовая. We would have gone there but I thought it might be a bit small for our large group.  If you do happen to have a decent restaurant with reasonable prices that would be appropriate for a large group, please do let me know.  Our motto for next year is "Anywhere but Primorski."

C. The beach itself is surprisingly nice considering that you are in Brooklyn, although it will likely be quite crowded at this time of year.  We always enjoy taking a long walk along the boardwalk.  I'm sure there are some other more substantial activities that you might be able to find, but do keep in mind that Brighton is not really set up as a tourist destination, so don't expect too many museums and the like.  Again, if you find something that you think would be suitable and affordable for a group of college students, please do let me know.

Lastly, do make sure to watch out for signs like the one I've attached-- not only are they quite amusing, they also help to explain some of our heritage students' more creative spellings!  [It seems that SEELANGS doesn't allow for attached photos.  The text of the ad reads: "2 бедрум апартмент $1100 в месяц.  брайтон бич.  2 кбартала от пляжа/3 квартала от метро. 1-й этаж всё новое/ no-smoke/drugs/noise.  3 месяца секюрити депозит, хароши кредит доказательство дохода, w-2 form."]

I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.  And please trust me when I say that "trip" is the right word!

Best,

Jesse Stavis
PhD Student
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison

P.S. The website for Tatiana restaurant is one of the most unintentionally (or perhaps intentionally) hilarious things I've ever read.  I especially liked the suggested wine pairings.  Eating hot dogs?  Try the white zinfandel.  Spicy nachos?  Red zinfandel.  Not eating anything at all?  Then order a glass of champagne! If this wasn't humorous enough, a formatting error has led to the last line of a recipe for a
"morning after drink" to be printed beneath the suggested wine pairings.  As a result, at first glance it appears that the proprietors not only recommend that you order the Sauternes to go with your buttered popcorn, but also that you "Combine ingredients in a blender and mix well.  Serve over ice."  The only thing I've read that rivaled this website was the menu at the cafe at MGU, which rather inexplicably translated сендвич с языком as "salmon language."  Language I get, but salmon?

On 08/08/11, Amarilis   wrote:
> Hi Seelangstsovy!
> Planning to go to Brighton Beach on Wednesday for the first time with my 8 and 3 year old boys. Can anyone recommend:
> A. A bookstore
> B. A restaurant
> C. Something cool (family friendly)
> Thanks
> Amarilis Lugo de Fabritz
>

> Sent from my iPhone

>   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>                     http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

photo.JPG