the bronze horseman

Ronald Meyer rm56 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Aug 9 01:24:37 UTC 2011

Over the years I've used Walter Arndt's translation of Bronze Horseman,
published in Pushkin, Collected Narrative and Lyrical Poetry (Ardis,
1984), now available in paperback from Overlook. I recommended Arndt to a
colleague last year and she was pleased with how it worked in her class of
undergraduates. Arndt's translation certainly takes care of the
"narrative" of Pushkin, if not always the "lyrical." There's also a good
translation by Catharine Nepomnyashchy in the Ardis Anthology of Russian
Romanticism, edited by Christine Rydel (Ardis, 1984), but that may be more
difficult to find.

Ronald Meyer
Adjunct Assistant Professor, M. A. Program in Russian Translation
Department of Slavic Languages, Columbia University

Publications Editor
Harriman Institute
Columbia University
420 West 118th Street, Rm. 1216