Tolstoy questions

Elizabeth Skomp elizabethskomp at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 22 16:21:06 UTC 2011

Dear SEELANGers,

A colleague has written to ask me the source of the following statement attributed to Tolstoy:

"If you want to be universal, sing your village."

I'd be grateful for any information you might be able to provide, including the original Russian phrase, as my initial searches have yielded nothing of use.

On a related note, I see that the website <http://tolstoy-nasledie.ru/> is no longer functional.  Is there another working website with a searchable Jubilee Edition?

Please reply off-list to eskomp at sewanee.edu.

Spasibo zaranee,

Elizabeth Skomp