problems finding "Heart of a Dog" and "The Naked Year"

Furman, Yelena yfurman at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Tue Aug 23 17:41:31 UTC 2011

Every time I've taught the 20th century course, that's the translation I used (Ginsburg, Grove Press).  I don't recall any problems getting it, although the last time I taught it was at least three years ago, so maybe something's changed.
Good luck finding it.  The students really, really enjoy Heart of a Dog.

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Penelope Burt [burt2151 at COMCAST.NET]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 7:51 PM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] problems finding "Heart of a Dog" and "The Naked Year"

Here's the Mirra Ginsburg translation of the Bulgakov, published by Grove Press, on Amazon (listed as in stock):
http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Dog-Mikhail-Bulgakov/dp/0802150594/ref=pd_sim_b_1

There are other translations that might be available from Amazon.uk: by M. Glenny and H. Aplin (titled A Dog's Heart).

The Pilnyak does seem to be OP.

On Aug 22, 2011, at 10:03 PM, mshevche at UMICH.EDU wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> For a course I am teaching in the Fall, I ordered through our bookstore Bulgakov's "Heart of a Dog" and Pilnyak's "The Naked Year". This is what receiveda as a response:
>
> "After searching various databases including Books in Print and Amazon.com, I'm afraid we cannot find any available versions of either "Heart of a Dog" or "Naked Year." There are various editions and copies for sale on the internet from individual sellers (selling through portals such as Amazon.com).  We cannot order from those sources, but studenst certainly can, if you find that necessary for your course.I'm sorry we're not better help on those two titles, but they do not appear to currently be in print."
>
> I was very much surprise by this outcome. I understand, Pilnyak might not be widely taught, but Bulgakov?
>
> I would very much appreciate your thoughts/suggestions on this issue.
>
> Thank you very much in advance and have a wonderful year ahead!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Mila Shevchenko
> University of Denver

> options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Penelope Burt
2151 California St NW, Apt 304
Washington DC 20008