Darwin, Bulgakov, and Zamiatin

Muireann Maguire mm504 at CAM.AC.UK
Mon Aug 29 18:13:31 UTC 2011

Dear Seelangtsy,

Can anyone throw light on whether Bulgakov and/or Zamiatin are known to have read Charles Darwin's major works? I have in mind both 'The Origin of Species' and 'The Descent of Man'. Bulgakov and Zamiatin were obviously familiar with Darwin's central ideas, but I would be grateful for information on which works they actually read (and if possible, which translations/editions). I am also curious to discover more about the Russian distribution of Darwinism's popularizers, including Herbert Spencer.
Please reply on or off-list (if the latter, to muireann.maguire at googlemail.com).
Many thanks!
Muireann Maguire
Wadham College, Oxford