On the involvement of DEER in "The All-Joking, All-Drunken Synod of Fools and Jesters"

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Jan 4 01:41:30 UTC 2011

There is a detailed account of the Zotov wedding in book 5 of the
Memoirs of Peter Henry Bruce, London 1782, including: '... then the
bridegroom and bride, on an elevated sledge made on purpose, surrounded
with cupids holding each a large horn in his hand; on the fore part of
the sledge was placed by way of coachman, a ram with very large horns;
and behind, was a he-goat by way of lacquey; behind them followed a
number of other sledges, drawn by different kinds of animals, four to
each, as rams, goats, DEER, bulls, bears, dogs, wolves, swine, and after
them came a number of sledges, drawn by six horses each ...'

Will Ryan