ASEEES Panel - Authority and Aesthetics of Absence

*Meghan Vicks* meghan.vicks at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 12 01:24:17 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I'm interested in organizing a panel for the 2011 ASEEES conference that
explores the concept of absence (or, Nothingness, Zero, Voids, non-existence)
in Russian literature, film, art, theory, culture studies, etc. In particular, I'm
interested in the power and "authority" of absence and its analogues, and how
authors and artists explore the power, functions, and aesthetics of absence
and nothingness in their works. My own work concerns Victor Pelevin's play
with emptiness and voids, as well as the aesthetics of nothingness found in
Nabokov's oeuvre. Other authors and artists that I've considered for such a
project include Gogol, Z. Krizhizhanovsky, Ilya Kabakov, Brodsky, and
Petrushevskaya, among others.

Please respond to me off-list at meghan.vicks at gmail.com if you're interested
in presenting a paper, or serving as discussant or chair.

Yours truly,

Meghan Vicks
PhD Candidate
Comparative Literature & Russian Studies
University of Colorado, Boulder