Question re "basic linguistics"

Nathan Hawryluk nathan.hawryluk at ALUMNI.UCALGARY.CA
Thu Jan 13 19:16:17 UTC 2011

As a non-linguist, I found sociolinguistics, dialectology and critical
discourse analysis especially useful when researching communication within
the Red and Soviet Army (
http://www.jmss.org/jmss/index.php/jmss/article/view/316).  Perhaps the
following sources will also be beneficial when examining lawyers in court:

Sociolinguistics

Chambers, J. K. and Peter Trudgill. *Dialectology*. 2nd ed. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1998.

Chambers, J. K. "Studying Language Variation: An Informal Epistemology." In
*The Handbook of Language Variation and Change*. Edited by J.K. Chambers,
Peter Trudgill, and Natalie Schilling-Estes. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers,
2002.

Halliday, M. A. K. *Language and Society*. Edited by Jonathan J. Webster.
London and New York: Continuum, 2007.

Hudson, R. A. *Sociolinguistics*. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University
Press, 1996.

Trudgill, Peter. *Sociolinguistics: an introduction to language and society*.
4th ed. London: Penguin Books, 2000.

Russian linguistics

Comrie, Bernard, Gerald Stone, and Maria Polinsky. *The Russian language in
the twentieth century*. Oxford: Oxford Clarendon Press, 1996.

Cubberley, Paul. *Russian: A Linguistic Introduction*. Cambridge and New
York: Cambridge University Press, 2002.

Ryazanova-Clarke, Larissa and Terence Wade. *The Russian Language Today*.
London & New York: Routledge, 1999.

Language and power/Critical discourse analysis

Grenoble, Lenore A. "Discourse Analysis." *Glossos *no. 8 (2006): 1–35. (
http://www.seelrc.org/glossos/issues/8/grenoble.pdf)

Talbot, Mary, Karen Atkinson, and David Atkinson. *Language and Power in the
Modern World.* Tuscaloosa, Alabama: University of Alabama Press, 2003. (A
nice introduction to the subject, the chapter on gender might be a good
starting place).

Nathan Hawryluk
nathan.hawryluk at alumni.ucalgary.ca