Norwid and the Wedding of Kana

Jan Zielinski zielinski at GMX.CH
Thu Jan 20 22:52:44 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-20 08:59, FIEGUTH Rolf wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> does anybody know which  painting - Italian, Flemish, Dutch or other - presenting the biblical Wedding of Kana - contains a baby in a cradle? I ask this question in connection with Cyprian Norwid's "Assunta", where Canto IV, stanza 12, vv. 93-94 runs:
>
> Patrzyla jak te niemowle z kolebki,
> Gdzie obchodzono Galilejska-Kane

Dear Rolf,

what about "Nozze di Cana" by Benvenuto Tisi da Garofalo? The baby is
not in a cradle, but it is definitely a very small baby, and "niemowle z
kolyski" could mean not the place the baby is looking from, but simply
its age. The baby from this picture looks like an infant Christ
(Dzieciatko) taken straight  out of a cradle.
http://hodiemecum.hautetfort.com/archive/2008/01/12/13-janvier-2008-le-iie-dimanche-apres-l-epiphanie-octave-de.html

Best,
Jan