etymology of оде яло

Hugh Olmsted hugh_olmsted at COMCAST.NET
Fri Jan 21 22:49:44 UTC 2011

Briefly.
Yes, it is related to DON (as in donning one's hat): don and doff are nothing but old fusions of 'do + on' and 'do + off' .
The base 'do' is itself a descendent in Germanic (cf. Germn 'tun', Dutch 'doen', etc.) of the same Indo-European root *dheH- 'do, make, put' which is reflected in our Slavic deti 'do' (with various root extensions – in *dej [as here in -dejati and odejalo; and delo / delati; and *dedj- as in nadezhda, odezhda, etc.).
Reflexes of the Indo-European root are widely met throughout indo-European descendents, frequently also with root extensions –– as in Lat. facere (leading to such Romance descendents as Fr. faire, Sp. hacer, etc.) and thence English borrowings in -fact- or -faction (satisfaction, benefaction, stupifaction, artifact, etc. etc.) or -fy (satisfy, unify, etc.); and the Greek verb tithemi (from reduplicated *dhi-dhemi or the like) and all the derivative English borrowings such as thesis, -thesis (anti-, syn-, meta-, paren-, epen-, hypo-, etc.), theme, -theca, etc.  The root also shows up in Sanscrit, Iranian, Hittite, Armenian, Baltic, Celtic, and other places.
Lots of company and a worthy pedigree.  We don't need to stretch for guesswork.

Odejat' and odejalo are NOT from the Greek.  Odnako.

Breathlessly,
Hugh Olmsted