Looking for titles of post-Soviet Russian literature in translation

Stefani, Sara Marie samastef at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Jan 24 22:42:25 UTC 2011

Dear Olga,
A few anthologies that may be helpful:

Squaring the Circle: Winners of the Debut Prize

Half a Revolution: Contemporary Fiction by Russian Women, ed. and trans. Masha Gessen (published in 1995)

Russkazy: New Fiction from a New Russia, ed. Mikhail Iossel and Jeff Parker (published in 2009)

Best,
Sara Stefani

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] on behalf of Olga Livshin [afol at UAA.ALASKA.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:49 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Looking for titles of post-Soviet Russian literature in translation

Dear All,

I will be teaching a course on contemporary Russian literature, with all works in English translation.  It is a survey course, and our time span will range from the late Soviet period to today. I am interested in finding out about more titles of works from the 1990s and 2000s in high-quality English translation, particularly prose and plays. I am aware of the NYRB series (Tatyana Tolstaya, Vladimir Sorokin and others) and Schocken Books (Lyudmila Ulitskaya and others), as well as major prose and poetry anthologies. Other sources for fiction and/or drama, such as literary journals with good translations of selected prose authors, as well as play publications, would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much for your help.

All the best,
Olga Livshin