etymology of одеяло

Lewis B. Sckolnick info at RUNANYWHERE.COM
Tue Jan 25 20:41:37 UTC 2011

      Oda

      Etymology

    *  From Old Turkic
      <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Turkic_language> /ota-g/.

      [edit
      <http://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=oda&action=edit&section=33>]
      Noun

*oda* (/definite accusative/ *oday?
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/oday%C4%B1>*, /plural/ *odalar
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/odalar>*)

   1. room <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/room>, chamber
      <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chamber>

On 1/22/2011 12:13 PM, Hugh McLean wrote:
> I was amused that my rash suggestion that English "don" might be
> related to the Slavic root den-, meaning "put on clothes" proved a
> typical example of overingenious and overconfident folk etymology.
> "Don' is simply a contraction of 'do on.'
>>  одеяло ---odejat comes from the the Greek---See Preobazhenskii Page
>> 639, Volume I , 1910-1914, pub Moscow 1959
>>
>> LBS
>>

>>> Odejalo, according to Vasmer, comes from the iterative odejat', from
>>> odet', 'to clothe, put on [clothes], DON [is that related?]. the
>>> root det', deti, is more complicated, but it is clearly pure Slavic.

>>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>>                    http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Lewis B. Sckolnick
The Ledge House
130 Rattlesnake Gutter Road, Suite 1000