Calling all experts on Bulgakov and Cheka fashion

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Wed Jan 26 14:52:46 UTC 2011

Diagonal' is a kind of cloth with diagonal weave. I think perhaps the
trousers were made of this cloth DOWN to (not UP to) the knees, and that
the lower part was flared, i.e. he was in bell-bottomed trousers.
Sailors' tops were called fufaiki - so perhaps this bronze-chested
apparition was a sailor?

Will