dictionaries and instructors

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Jan 26 17:23:09 UTC 2011

There are instructors in whose vicinity only the most dedicated
students can learn something. I would not need an instructor to tell
me that there is A dictionary, maybe there is a better one than the
one I am using. But if I have a question knowing that there is a
dictionary, the instructor should answer it IF he knows the answer, of
course. I've known one instructor who got his training as a language
teacher in one of British military branches, his favorite model was
rote repetition, something that we do not perceive as the best form of
instruction. In other words, I don't think your drill sergeant should
be a model for the rest of us. It's not just a question of spoiling
fun. I have hudreds of dictionaries in my possessions (not a
hyperbole), and I know that at times they are not super-accurate. In
fact, at times I make it my business to find their discrepancies. So I
hope questions will continue to adorn the listwerv.

AI

Jan 26, 2011, в 10:14 AM, William Ryan написал(а):

>  I was taught Russian in the British Navy by a man who regularly
> responded to questions by saying "I had to look that up - why can't
> you?". However, such an approach here would spoil a lot of our
> coffee break fun, and some queries, however basic, have sometimes
> led to interesting and informative exchanges.
>
> Will

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University