Moisej Kagan

Nancy Condee condee at PITT.EDU
Sun Jan 30 12:04:51 UTC 2011

This is exactly right, at least as I remember the landscape.  Kagan's volume
was the liberal counterpart to the more conservative, multi-authored volume
Основы марксистской-ленинской эстетики, also in multiple editions during
late Stagnation and considered the Academy of Sciences' official position on
Marxist aesthetics.  Throughout university bookstores in the GDR in the late
1970s and 1980s, it was Kagan's volume that was displayed and he was
considered the more palatable of bad choices on the subject.  I do not
consider myself an expert, but I was using both volumes at the time and paid
attention to their citations and distribution.  Best, Nancy Condee

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of FIEGUTH Rolf
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 5:44 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Moisej Kagan

Dear colleagues,

who remembers Moisej Kagan's Lekcii po marksistsko-leninskoj estetike. M. S.
Kagan / Kagan, Moisej Samojlovi? (1921-2006). / Leningrad : Leningradskij
Universitet, 1963  and could tell me, how much "liberalism" could have been
in them? The third edition of this work was translated into German and seems
to have served there  as a more or less decent and not excessively dogmatic
compendium of marx.-len. esthetic thinking, but maybe it was simply
wellthinking trash.

Who knows more about this?

I am looking forward to your reactions.

Best wishes,