put us on

Goloviznin Konstantin kottcoos at mail.ru
Tue Jul 5 01:17:50 UTC 2011

On 7/4/2011 10:06 AM, Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
> Goloviznin Konstantin wrote:
>>
>> . But there's a bit of "hope" on another meaning of "making us
>> nervous with your misbehaviour". What's right?
>>
>> The context is here: <http://depositfiles.com/files/oi5xu1do2>;
>>
>> ... and thanks in advance, Konstantin.
>
> Seems clear to me in the context that the doctor, as he says, is not
> convinced that Mac is crazy, but instead thinks he's feigning mental
> illness in order to be kept in the institution.
>
> There does seem to be an element of pulling their leg -- Mac seems to
> be having some fun with it, entertaining himself by playing mind games
> with the doctors (jerking them around). But I don't recognize the
> alternate meaning you suggest.
>
> I hope I've understood your question correctly.

- Paul, the alternate meaning Konstantin gives is satisfied by the
- expression "to put off". Maybe that is the source of the confusion.
- Jules Levin

Telling the truth, I have doubted for the sake of the second meaning at finding in a dictionary "to put the light on". That is "put on" = "turn on" or close to it.

Konstantin.