literature for course in "civilization and culture" in the fall

John Hawley JHawley at SCU.EDU
Mon Jul 11 20:43:33 UTC 2011

You might consider Rossica 19, which excerpts from recent Russian fiction; subtitled "Red Pyramid: Russian Literature from the 21st Century."  --John C. Hawley, Santa Clara University

>>> Charlotte Rosenthal <crosenth at USM.MAINE.EDU> 7/9/2011 8:30 AM >>>
Dear Seelangtsy!

Can anyone suggest a book readily available in English translation of a recent literary work (or works) that is "recognizable" as taking place in today's Russia?  I'm open to any genre, including a collection, in any one of the "brows"--high, low, or middle. We will be reading an anthology of "classical" works, so I'm less concerned about the nature of this last reading.  All the works I'm familiar with myself are either not available in translation or too postmodernist to be "readable" by my students.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks so much.

Charlotte Rosenthal

Charlotte Rosenthal, Ph. D.
Professor of Russian
Dept. of Modern & Classical Langs. and Lits. University of Southern Maine
Portland, ME 04104-9300 U.S.A.

crosenth at usm.maine.edu
http://blogs.usm.maine.edu/crosenth/