Stacked prefixes in Russian

Robert Reynolds reynoldsrjr at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 3 10:58:41 UTC 2011

SEELANGers,

It is frequently claimed that Russian verbs can have no more than 2
stacked prefixes.  I am trying to compile a list of verbs that have 3
or more prefixes.  If you can think of any, or if you have comments on
the list I have already compiled, please let me know. (question marks
mean that one of my informants doesn't accept it).

(8)	Russian verbs with 3 prefixes
a)	do-pri-na-rjadit’sja ‘to get all dressed up (stylishly)’
b)	do-ras-pro-stranit’ ‘to finish spreading out’
c)	pere-o-s-myslit’ ‘to reconsider’
d)	pere-ras-pre-delit’ ‘to redistribute’
e)	po-vy-s-prosit’ ‘to interrogate a little’
f)	?po-pere-za-pisat’ ‘to rerecord a little’
g)	?po-pri-na-žat’ ‘to lightly press a little’
h)	po-raz-u-znat’ ‘to gradually find out (about)’
i)	po-ras-s-prosit’ ‘to question a little’
j)	?po-u-s-pokoit’ ‘to comfort a little’
k)	pred-ras-po-ložit’ ‘to predispose’

(9)	Russian verbs with 4 prefixes
a)	?po-na-pere-za-pisyvat’ ‘to rerecord a little’
b)	?pri-pri-pri-ot-kryt’ ‘to open ever so ever so ever so slightly’

Thanks!

Rob Reynolds
The Ohio State University