New R-E/E-R Dictionary

Frank J Miller fjm6 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Jun 4 17:55:23 UTC 2011

Both dictionaries are excellent, but the Yermolovich dictionary is
more up to date. Both contain IT terminology, including
перезагрузить, but if you look up “download” in the
Oxford dictionary, you get загружать. Yermolovich gives a more
complete entry: загрузить, скачать, скачивать
and скачать. The size of the Yermolovich dictionary (8" x 5")
makes it more convenient to carry around in a briefcase.

In the introduction to his New Comprehensive Russian-English
Dictionary (Moscow 2004), Yermolovich has interesting remarks about
changes in the  Russian lexicon at the beginning of the 21st-Century,
and a good number of his examples can be found in this dictionary

On Jun 3, 2011, at 11:01 PM, Stephanie Briggs wrote:

> How does it differ, or have any improvement on, for example, the
> Oxford
> Russian-English dictionary? Does it contain more IT vocabulary?
>
> Stephanie
>

> On 3 June 2011 13:52, Lynn Visson <lynnvisson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Colleagues may be interested in the publication by Hippocrene Books
>> of
>> Dmitry Yermolovich's new Russian Practical Dictionary (70,000
>> entries,
>> paperback) Russian-English/English-Russian).  This is not a copy of
>> his
>> previous "Novyi bol'shoi russko-angliiskii slovar'" with an E-R
>> translation
>> of the entries,  but a new work. The book is fairly compact and
>> easy to
>> carry around (disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in this
>> book).
>> Lynn Visson

>> options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>>                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Frank J. Miller
Professor of Slavic Languages
Russian Language Coordinator