????????? ? - polyanichat'

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Tue Jun 7 08:34:05 UTC 2011

See Dmitrii Zhmurov's chapter on aggression in children's folktales at
http://www.npocmo.info/nl/nl_c4.html  Of a female bogatyr' Nastas'ia he
writes: "Настасья мало живет дома. Она ездит в чисто поле - поляничает,
и бьется с богатырями." So evidently the word is not related strictly to
a poliana, which anyway has a rather imprecise spectrum of meaning, but
to the "chistoe pole" of folktales and magic charms. So your suggested
"wandering about in search of adventure" is a reasonable if wordy
translation, given that the "chistoe pole" doesn't seem to have a very
good equivalent in English - our adventurers tend to "go a-roving",
perhaps "o'er hill and dale".
Will