Chemists and chemistry in Russian literature

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 13 16:54:50 UTC 2011

Dear Muireann,

There is a book about Lomonosov that might be of help to you:

* Михайло Ломоносов: Жизнеописание. Избранные труды. Воспоминания
современников. Суждения потомков. Стихи и проза о нём / Сост. Г. Е.
Павлова, А. С. Орлов. М.: Современник, 1989.

I didn't come across any books on Mendeleev but there are several
documentary films on him that might be of interest to you:

* Documentary zavetnye mysli mendeleeva (2009)
http://www.studi-ol.ru/mendeleev.html

* From the series "Genii I zlodei":
http://video.mail.ru/mail/zarkova1204/868/1893.html

* On his work and life:
http://rutube.ru/tracks/4008559.html

I'm not sure whether you've read already Aleksandr Beliaev's book
"Prodavets vozdukha" (1929). It features some interesting experiments
involving various chemical reactions.
Beliaev's book was used as a source of inspiration for Vladimir
Riabtsev's film (1969) "Prodavets vozdukha".
You can read about this film
here:http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Продавец_воздуха_(фильм)

All best,
Alexandra

-- -------------------------------------------
Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Reader in Russian Studies
Department of European Languages and Cultures
School of  Languages, Literatures and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131 -651 -1482
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.