Question regarding Grammatical Gender vs. Biological Gender in Russian

Emily Saunders emilka at MAC.COM
Wed Jun 15 22:50:41 UTC 2011

Hello,

I thought I'd throw this question out to the SEELANGS wealth of
expertise.  Masculine nouns occasionally end in -a or -я in names like
Ваня, Миша, and in words like дедушка, папа, дядя.  And necessarily
these take feminine declensional endings in spite of the underlying
biological masculine gender.  My question is whether anyone can think
of any *inanimate* masculine nouns that end in -a/-я (if there are any)?

Thanks in advance,

Emily Saunders