Question regarding Grammatical Gender vs. Biological Gender in Russian

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Jun 16 14:05:59 UTC 2011

One should not think of -a decletion as "feminine". Practically all
masculine name have a diminutive in -a, exceptions exist, but they are
rare. Even names like Oleg have Olezhka (pronounced [Aleshka],
commonly misidentified, even in some textbooks). Otherwise Коля, Вася,
Петя, Серёжа, Алеша, Валера, Витя, Гриша, Женя, Саша, Боря, Вова,
Дима, Валя etc. How's that "feminine" if 98% of the male population's
name belong here?

The exceptions are names like Стас, Денис (although Дениска in
childhood), and maybe a few others.

Even in some rare names we find a way:

Муля, не нервируй меня: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHFTGwgODz0

скрипач еврейский Моня: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR-dOjXwZkM

Jun 15, 2011, в 6:50 PM, Emily Saunders написал(а):

> Hello,
>
> I thought I'd throw this question out to the SEELANGS wealth of
> expertise.  Masculine nouns occasionally end in -a or -я in names
> like Ваня, Миша, and in words like дедушка, папа, дядя.  And
> necessarily these take feminine declensional endings in spite of the
> underlying biological masculine gender.  My question is whether
> anyone can think of any *inanimate* masculine nouns that end in -a/-
> я (if there are any)?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Emily Saunders

> options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at:
>                   http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University