Question regarding Grammatical Gender vs. Biological Gender in Russian

Kevin Windle Kevin.Windle at ANU.EDU.AU
Fri Jun 17 01:22:16 UTC 2011

Hello, Emily,

There may be very few inanimates, but gorodishka is another (in addition to domina, cited by Denis). Authoritative editions of Lermontov's Geroi nashego vremeni have: Taman' samyi skvernyi gorodishka ...

Google tells me, however, that some editions prefer -ishko: samyi skvernyi gorodishko.

Kevin Windle