Russian illustrated magazines 1880s-1890s

Edyta Bojanowska bojanows at RCI.RUTGERS.EDU
Mon Jun 27 19:18:37 UTC 2011

Dear SEELANGers,

I post below a query from an Americanist colleague who has questions
about turn-of-the-century Russian illustrated journals.
Please reply directly to him: Brad Evans <bevans at rci.rutgers.edu>

Best regards to the list,
Edyta Bojanowska

***********************
Over the last few years, I have been trying to uncover the over-looked
history of a late nineteenth-century craze for proto-modernist,
fin-de-siècle, magazines, known variously in English as “chapbooks,”
“fadzines,” “toy magazines,” and “ephemeral bibelots.” These seem to
have been in some vague way the forerunners of the more famous little
magazines of the next decade, but without the latter’s bluster, artistic
manifestoes, or oversized personalities—and also without, or so it would
seem from the critical record, noteworthy or lasting contributions to
art and literature. The bibelots are beautifully illustrated in an
Aubrey Beardsley-esque, Aesthetic Arts style. The writing is generally
light and witty, often bitingly parodic, and almost uniformly opposed to
the stylistics of Realism and Naturalism. The bibelots scored scant
mention in Frank Luther Mott’s magisterial history of American magazines
and were dismissed outright by Hoffman, Allen and Ulrich, who wrote in
The Little Magazine (1957) that they “were not very inspiring.” And yet
their numbers are quite astounding—over two-hundred were published from
1894 to 1902 in the United States, and, if I am not mistaken, there were
hundreds more worldwide. I suspect that these included most of the
cosmopolitan centers of Eastern and Western Europe, South America,
Japan, and India.

I have made a small gallery of some of these magazines that I have
identified to date, which might help give you the feel of what I am
looking for:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/64548927@N03/sets/72157627060259556.

I write with two questions:

1. First, a broad query: I am interested in charting the vogue for these
little magazines around the world, and I would be grateful for help
identifying these "ephemeral bibelots" in other national traditions.

2. More specifically, I would appreciate any information about a group
of these magazines published in Russia in the 1880s and 1890s with which
Anton Chekhov had some involvement. These include:

a. Cricket (Sverchok). Described by Anton Chekhov’s brother, Mikhail, as
having been “modeled on the French magazines of the day” (83). Evgeny
and Mikhail Verner, who lived abroad for a long time, had founded the
magazine. They also published Around the World, which introduced the
Russian reading public to the writings of Louis Henri Boussenard, Robert
Louis Stevenson, and Henry Rider Haggard. Cricket was “a very engaging
magazine for its time, every student subscribed to it” (83). It
apparently had stenciled watercolors on the cover.

b. Alarm Clock (Budil’nik) (1865-1915) The Moscow rival to Fragments.

c. Light and Dark (Sv︠i︡et i t︠i︡eni : zhurnal khudozhestvennyĭ i
karrikaturnyĭ)

d. Fragments (“Oskolki”) (Miles translates it as “Splinters” and calls
it “the best comic sheet in the country” (Miles, 20).). (located in St.
Petersburg) (1881-1916). Editor = Leikin from 1882-1896. Leikin
established Chekhov’s career by having him publish in Fragments, for
which he was fairly well-paid, and inviting him all expenses paid for
the first time to St. Petersburg, but he was temperamentally different
from Chekhov in terms of his literary aspirations. Pushed even more for
ephemeral entertainment. Chekhov wrote under pseudonyms “Ruver” and
“Ulysses” – column “Fragments/Splinters of Moscow Life.” Durkin
characterizes the column as “randomly observed incidents, often trivial
and interchangeable but noteworthy for their typicality; for instance
Chekhov describes a squabble over a winning lottery ticket or a flood in
the Eliseev wine shop caused by a broken water pipe” (234). Stories:
“Chameleon”; He mostly stops writing for the journal by 1887. He
published 73 pieces in the journal in 1883 (Miles 20). “The Death of a
Government Clerk” (2 July 1883); “The Daughter of Albion” (13 August
1883); “Minds in Ferment” (16 June 1884). He also wrote captions for
cartoons. Bartlett suggests that it was due to the way that Chekhov was
becoming more serious as a writer that he ended up parting ways with
Leikin’s comic journal: “He was an elegist as much as a comic, with a
poetic temperament, and he found it increasingly difficult to write to
order,” but Leikin wanted stories that were short, funny, and cranked
out without too much deliberation. The standard length for a story was a
hundred lines—up to a thousand words.

Thanks for any help!

Brad

Brad Evans
Associate Professor
Dept. of English
Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

--
Edyta Bojanowska
Assistant Professor of Russian Literature