Honor your students--less than 6 hours to submit

augerot bigjim at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Mar 2 00:13:37 UTC 2011

Dear Cindy,
I am sorry to be so late this year, but I have been very busy of late and
kept putting it off.

Our nominee is Connor Lynch. He is in 4th year Russian even though he is only in
his third year as a student. He had studied extensively on his own prior to coming
to the University and in fact could be in our graduate 5th year course if he wanted.

He is very active in Departmental affairs, just last week he helped the Department
put on our Maslenitsa celebration, participating in skits and songs to the general
enjoyment of the crowd.

He is a huge asset to have in class, with great enthusiasm and a fine willingness
to help out the students who have less fluency in Russian than he has.

I am happy to propose him for the distinguished student award.

Jim

director, ellison center <http://jsis.washington.edu/ellison>
chair, russian, east european and central asian studies 206-685-3113

professor, slavic langs and lits, <http://depts.washington.edu/slavweb/>
box 353580, university of washington, seattle, wa 98195 206-543-5484

adjunct professor, linguistics
treasurer, south east european studies association <http://www.seesa.info/>
web denizen, <http://faculty.washington.edu/bigjim/>

need not have the top GPA, nor be a Russian major, but should demonstrate an active dedication--in course work, outside activities, attitude--to the study of Russian language and culture.