ne mozhno

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Mar 3 15:45:22 UTC 2011

l'zia was fine in Old Russian. For more recent use see Dal', as some of
us aged pedagogues have mentioned before - under "moga" you will find
Russian sayings which include ne mozhno; and l'zia has an entry of its
own, marked as nar. So "l'zia" is archaic or folksy and therefore
available as a stylistic alternative for ironic, poetic or just jokey
use, or for historical colour.

Incidentally, for Ashot, "mightn't" is normal spoken English, and "an't
I" is regional.

Will Ryan