Reading Speed in Slovenian

Psy Ling psyling at YMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 9 16:18:51 UTC 2011

I have received a question from a company that tested reading speed in Russian,
Polish, and Slovenian.
They found that the reading speed in Slovenia (measured in syllables per minute)
is slower than in Polish and Russian.  I mean when they looked at all languages
in syllables per minute, Slovenian was the slowest spoken language. However,
when they assessed the reading speed in words per minute, Slovenian was in
middle range.

They wonder: could it be that syllables are pronounced in a more
prolonged/stretched way in Slovenian? Or could it be that syllables are longer
(include more letters per syllable) compared to Russian and Polish?
For ideas please back channel.
Psy Ling