NY Times on Avant-Garde Russian Art Collection in Nukuz, Uzbekistan

Wed Mar 9 18:30:04 UTC 2011

Luciano Di Cocco wrote:

>>> shape-shifter?
>>
>> Yes. Also called "metamorph" on one Star Trek episode.
>
> In an American context, I would also like skin-walker, a term from
> Native American culture. It is specifically a term for therianthropy
> (metamorphosis of humans into other animals), while shape-shifter and
> metamorph are more generic. But from an Italian point of view both
> shape-shifter (mutaforma) and metamorph (metamorfo) sound a bit too
> science fiction for the context.

FWIW, "shape-shifter" is also used on the HBO series /True Blood/ (and
in the original Charlaine Harris books) for entities such as werewolves.
These don't feel very sci-fi to me, they're more in the
fantasy/paranormal realm.

<http://true-blood.net/2009/07/20/what-is-shape-shifting/>

"... Shape shifting is the act of causing transformation of one body
into another. In the world of mythology, Werewolves and Vampires are
both creatures who can shift their shape. But Shape shifting has its
roots in shamanism, a form of spiritualism that causes the shaman or
priest/ess to take on the spirit of the animal or being needed for a
ritual, thus changing their shape. ..."

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com