R: [SEELANGS] Reading Speed in Slovenian

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Wed Mar 9 18:42:28 UTC 2011

Two or three special things about standard Slovenian:
Its syllables tend to have fewer consonants before and after the vowel than
Russian and Polish syllables do (nothing like Russian vstre-cha or Polish
z'dz'bło).
It distinguishes long and short vowels, and in all instances when the
stressed syllable is not the final syllable of the word, the stressed
syllable gets to have a long vowel in it, so VOda has long O, sloVEnija has
long E, naSPROtje 'opposition' has long O, etc. That makes words seem to be
said more slowly.
But the total number of syllables in a word is often less than the
corresponding Russian or Polish word.
About the tones: some speakers of standard Slovenian distinguish them, other
speakers don't distinguish them. Both pronunciations are considered
"standard."

--
Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu