Oboroten'

R. M. Cleminson rmcleminson at POST.SK
Fri Mar 11 11:37:54 UTC 2011

Lycanthrope (λυκἀνθρωπος) is simply Greek for wolf-man (λὐκος+ἄνθρωπος).  The belief in shifting between human and animal form is widespread among European peoples (and beyond), including the ancient Greeks: it was reported long before Ovid by Herodotus (Hist.IV.105), though he says he doesn't believe it!

The myth of Lycaon, though, at least as recounted by Ovid (Metamorphoses i.163-239), is a different matter altogether, as here it is not a question of alternating between the two shapes, but of a single, definitive transformation inflicted by the god as a punishment (for impiety rather than cruelty).

Incidentally, though "shape-shifter" may have science fiction connotations for those that read that sort of thing, its mythological/folkloric connotations are equally valid, and of greater antiquity.  Andrew Lang was writing in 1887 "He was also, like Odin, a 'shape-shifter'" (quoted in OED), and we can push it back further, to 1820, when Proteus is called a shape-shifter in F. Macirone, A Few Specimens of the Ars Logica Copleiana (a political satire, no less!).

----- Pôvodná správa -----
Od: "Ivan S. Eubanks" <ieubanks at PUSHKINIANA.ORG>
Komu: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Odoslané: štvrtok, 10. marec 2011 22:21:54
Predmet: Re: [SEELANGS] Oboroten'

Lycanthrope is a fairly common (to my ear) English synonym for
"shapeshifter," and etymologically it ties specifically to werewolves,
as it is derived from Lykaon, the first human (non-divine) shapeshifter
(according to Ovid).  Lykaon was such cruel, cannibalistic king that he
was afflicted with his condition by the gods.  Reference to Lykaon can
also be found in Plato and, although I can't recall which ones off the
top of my head, in other Greek sources as well.  In short, a lycanthrope
is specifically an accursed human who transforms into an animal, as
opposed to deities (such as Zeus) who can transform into whatever shape
they please (e.g. a bull, a swan, etc.) for whatever purpose they please
(i.e. seduction, disguise).

Ivan S. Eubanks
/Pushkin Review / ?????????? ???????/ <http://www.pushkiniana.org>