forgotten Russian - how to restore it?

Natasha Yefimov n.yefimova at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 14 14:48:45 UTC 2011

Dear Katya,

Just a note of caution: Because your student was adopted at a fairly advanced age and the Russian orphanages and families from which adoptees hail are often abusive, it's possible that she's accumulated some pretty unhappy memories. Trawling for linguistic tidbits in her subconscious could dredge up unexpectedly strong, negative emotions, like the heart-wrenching example in Marsha's story. As a heritage speaker, I'm fascinated by the mind's ability to store away language learning, but I'm guessing that exploring this with an adopted child requires an extra level of care. Here's a resource page on children and trauma from the Dart Center, a respected research organization for journalists who cover violence: http://dartcenter.org/topic/children-trauma. It's a bit off-topic but may lead you to useful studies or advice.

All the best,
Natasha