forgotten Russian - how to restore it?

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 14 17:09:05 UTC 2011

Very interesting point made re: possible psychological damage to the child.  Alina mentioned that the child was at the upper end of the critical period hypothesis and may have questioned its validity.  It has also been suggested that psychological or affective elements can  play a role in language attrition/acquisition.  It seems that in this case they may be instrumental.  Questions to be asked would include the quantity and quality of linguistic input before adoption on the one hand and on the other, the possible psychological  damage done to the child.  And this is a very different question from 'is language attrition complete? '
As for language being somewhere almost inaccessible, it would be nice to think that it remains; however, as far as I know, the evidence is just not there.
AM