News about Duke's Russian Posters Collection, 1919-1989

Petre Petrov petrepet at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 25 23:56:03 UTC 2011

Dear Beth,

these are fascinating and nicely reproduced! Thank you for pointing us to
them. My favorite probably is Demian Bednyi's ditty under the evil faces of
the enemies of the piatiletka.

Do you know whether the posters will be further annotated? Currently the
information on individual items is rather scarce (no author, exact year,
etc.). This is strange, since the essential details, in most cases, appear
on the posters themselves.

Best,
PP

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Beth Holmgren <beth.holmgren at duke.edu>wrote:

> Duke University Libraries recently announced the publication of a new
> digital collection called the "Russian Posters Collection, 1919-1989"
> <http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/russian-posters/>. This
> collection consists of 75 Soviet propaganda posters, representing
> distinct eras in the history of Communist political advertising.  It
> is divided into three main series:
>
>    * General Political Posters Series  (29 items)
>
> Original posters from the earliest days of Soviet power and I. V.
> Stalin's "Cultural Revolution" cover a range of issues related to
> religion, the status of women,  economic and social changes, and
> political events. They emphasize the benefits of force-draft
> industrialization and agricultural collectivization, the achievements
> of the Soviet Union under communism, and the struggle against
> capitalism.  This collection of posters from the 1920s and 1930s is
> rounded out by an additional nine items from the Facsimile Posters
> Series.
>
>    * Twenty-Second Communist Party Congress Posters Series (14 items)
> Electioneering placards from the 22nd Congress of the Communist Party
> (1961) graphically illustrate N. S. Khrushchev's promise to catch up
> and overtake the capitalist countries by 1980. The visual presentation
> of statistical data demonstrates the strength of the country in
> industrial development, consumer goods, agricultural production,
> electrification, and the national welfare, and the collapse of the
> colonial system of imperialism and the problems facing capitalism.
>
>    * Perestroika Era Posters Series (23 items)
>
> An assemblage of posters from the 1980s contains poignant reminders of
> the promises and perils of the period of "restructuring" (perestroika)
> and "openness" (glasnost') under M. S. Gorbachev. Most of these
> posters were exhibited in Moscow in 1988, just three years before the
> break-up of the Soviet Union.  Ten reproductions are in their own
> exhibit folder. One poster from an anti-alcoholism campaign unrelated
> to the exhibit but from the same period closes the series.
>
> Enhancements to Duke's "Russian Posters" site continue to be made and
> users are encouraged to submit their comments and suggestions to the
> Librarian for Slavic and East European Studies at
> ernest.zitser at duke.edu or 919-660-5847.

PP