Fwd: Translation Course (Please forward to anyone who might be interested!)

Susan LaVelle lave0093 at UMN.EDU
Sat Mar 26 16:35:13 UTC 2011

This sort of course should be attractive to Russian instructors everywhere,
especially those that are worried about the shrinking size and influence of
Russian Language and Literature departments, because to "Use your Russian,
Use your English" implies a crossing of disciplines and broadening of the
appeal of the "usefulness" of Russian language instruction for students
across multiple fields of interest.

In addition to the course's traditional appeal to students interested in the
translation of Russian literature, I see this set of courses as providing
any Russian language student  with the opportunity to connect their Russian
with other fields of interest, from Art to Engineering, Political Science to
Kinesthetics.

I feel that the area of translation and editing into English is one of the
few places
that skilled "Anglophone" (native English-speaking) students of Russian can
excel in a field with so many "Russophone" students, so, perhaps here might
be an opportunity for instructors and professors to pass on information
about this opportunity to any such-skilled Anglophone students.

I am a graduate student at the University of Minnesota in the Writing
Studies department; I felt that this was exactly the sort of course that
would enable me to further my use of Russian as a component to my Master's
degree program.

Susan LaVelle