travel accounts of Russia

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Tue Mar 29 21:22:42 UTC 2011

On 3/29/2011 9:27 AM, William Ryan wrote:
> A colleague of mine in the Hakluyt Society, Ray Howgego (author of the
> mighty /Encyclopedia of Exploration/), who shares my interest in
> western travel accounts of Russia, has sent me the following list of
> books which he suspects are all confected by writers who probably
> never went to Russia:

Let me take advantage of this topic to mention the most important
Hakluyt publication re Russia, Giles Fletcher's Of the Rus Commonwealth,
1591.   The large number of Russian words cited and defined are rendered
useless in subsequent editions.   The Russian translation (1905) merely
translated Fletcher's definitions into contemporary Russian.   A later
English edition used the Russian translation as a pony to "correct"
Fletcher's often interesting and significant renderings.  Thus
Fletcher's Riba bela shows up as 'belarybitsa' in the "Correct Russian"
column.  If you are researching 16th Century Russian, first occurrence
of Russian words in English, or how Elizabethan spellers would render
Russian pronunciation, you must go to the original truly beautiful
Hakluyt publication of 1591.
Jules Levin