Fwd: Visions of the Future: Religion, Apocalypse and Dystopia in Slavic History and Culture

Miriam J Dobson m.dobson at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Wed May 18 08:41:50 UTC 2011

‘Visions of the Future: Religion, Apocalypse and Dystopia in Slavic
History and Culture,’ Symposium, University of Sheffield, Saturday 8
October 2011

The convenors of the BASEES Study Group ‘Religion and Spirituality in
Russia and Eastern Europe’ would like to invite you to a one-day event
to be held in Sheffield on Saturday 8th October. We hope this event
will provide an opportunity for post-graduates and established
researchers working on religion from a range of different disciplines
to come together and share ideas.

This symposium will explore apocalypticism in Slavic history and
culture and, in particular, the interplay between literary texts,
theological doctrines, and folkloric traditions in shaping visions of
the end of the world. We are interested in the relationship between
the religious and the secular, church tradition and popular belief,
the Orthodox and the non-Orthodox. The workshop hopes to consider why
visions of the ‘end’ become particularly powerful at certain
historical moments and how the language and form of apocalyptic fears
has evolved over time.

We are very pleased to confirm that Professor Steve Smith (European
University Institute, Florence) will be speaking about his research on
'Apocalyptic Narratives in Soviet Russia, 1917-30s'.

We would like to hear from you if you’re interested in coming to
symposium, particularly if you are willing to give a paper. Speakers
from different disciplines –history, religious studies, Slavic
studies, literature – are all very welcome.  We hope that this will be
an informal but stimulating occasion, so please don’t hesitate to get
in touch. There will be no charge for attendance and lunch will be
provided.

Zoe Knox and Miriam Dobson (convenors)

Dr Miriam Dobson
http://russianhistoryblog.org