number of prepositions in Russian

Frank Gladney gladney at ILLINOIS.EDU
Wed May 25 19:35:49 UTC 2011

In _Case in Slavic_ ed. Richard Brecht and James Levine (Slavica 1986), I address this question.  If you open an Academy grammar to the index and look under Predlog, you'll find hundreds.  When is some other part of speech, which is "used as a proposition", to be considered a preposition?  In English, is _behind_ one?  Are _concerning_ and _regarding_ prepositions?  How about _in connection with_?  The Russian grammarians say yes in each case, and that's because if your specialty is prepositions, the more there are the more important your specialty.  If you're a hammer, a lot of protuberances look like nails.

Frank Y. Gladney