Moscow Courtyard Blocking/Gating

Jose Vargas vargas3 at COOPER.EDU
Thu Nov 3 23:21:52 UTC 2011

I am conducting research on the city of Moscow regarding the use of open space through changing ideologies of governance. Recently many of the buildings possessing courtyards have been modified with the addition of gates in order to privatize or individualize the use that until recently had been communal, or at least open to the passerby. Please contact me if you are aware of this phenomenon. I wonder if the pre-communist condition also considered courtyards as public space, and what are the areas mostly affected by this. All leads are welcome.

Thanks,
Jose Vargas