Friday Nov 11 Romani Dance Celebration, Berkeley

Sibelan Forrester sforres1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Mon Nov 7 15:47:22 UTC 2011

(Forwarding this from the conference organizer, Anna Elena Torres.)

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to announce a performance by EDESSA this Friday, November
11, at Ashkenaz in Berkeley, CA. Edessa is a phenomenal band, and I
think this event will interest many readers of this listserv. There will
also be lessons in Balkan and Turkish Romani traditional dance styles.

The concert and dance celebration is in conjunction with the Inaugural
Romani Studies Conference at UC Berkeley, held all day on Thursday, Nov
10. It will include an academic panel on Romani music, featuring Dr.
Carol Silverman, Traci Lindsey, and Laura Fantone.

CONCERT: Friday, November 11th
Romani Dance Celebration
featuring Balkan band EDESSA
plus special guest CAROL SILVERMAN
Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
Traditional Romani dance lessons
by Sani Rifati of Voice of Roma
with Jessaiah Rose Zure and Stefka Kamburova
8:00 p.m. / show at 9:00 p.m.
$15/$12 Students
http://www.edessamusic.com/edessamusic/Home.html

Conference details are listed below, and our website is
http://berkeleyromanistudies.tumblr.com/
The conference is free and open to the public.