Request for translation help with three Slovak songs

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu Nov 10 04:36:34 UTC 2011

Dear SEELANGers:

Could I trouble you to "help" me verify three translations of three
short Slovak songs -- my Slovak is non-existent.

I am asking as a favor to my colleague, the college's music director.
The college chorus is singing three of Bartok's Slovak songs as part
of this year's Vespers program, which always includes songs from a
variety of places. Tim was given existing translations for the songs
and has asked me to check that these are indeed adequate.
I've been able to recognize about seven words. I have some niggling
doubts. The translations certainly don't seem very literal -- are they
far off? I'm probably wrong because my instincts are based on Russian.

The songs are pretty classic (see texts below):
Dancing Song From Medzibrod
Song of the Hayharvesters from Hiadel
Dancing Song from Poniky

I'm doing my best to put the songs into this message, but I have no
idea what will happen to the diacritics. Can't attach a document, so
if you can help and want to see a proper copy of the songs, in rtf
format, please contact me directly at:
frosset at wheatonma.edu

I will send you the file.

Also, does anyone know of an established, authoritative source that
might offer standard English translation? We could not find one.

Thank you so very much for any and all help,
-FR

Dancing Song From Medzibrod
Rada pila, rada jedla
Rada tancovala,