Help with three Slovak songs

R. M. Cleminson rmcleminson at POST.SK
Thu Nov 10 17:23:30 UTC 2011

I would tentatively connect obranclovať with Hungarian abroncs, which means, among other things, a hoop for a skirt.

The Hungarian word is of course a loan-word from Slavonic obrǫčĭ (preserving the nasal vowel!), which continued to exist in Slovak (and other languages), giving us the modern obruč.

----- Pôvodná správa -----
Od: "Martin Votruba" <votruba+slangs at PITT.EDU>
Komu: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Odoslané: štvrtok, 10. november 2011 15:16:15
Predmet: [SEELANGS] Help with three Slovak songs

What they gave you was hardly a translation, Francoise. Kytlic~ka is rather an obsolete word for a skirt, I'm not sure about neobranclovala. The rest is below.

Rada pila, rada jedla -- She liked to drink, she liked to eat,
Rada tancovala, -- she liked to dance,
Ani si len tú kytličku neobranclovala, -- she did not even hem(?) her skirt,

Nedala si štyri groše -- you didn't give (pay) 4 groschen
Ako som ja dala, -- the way I did
Žeby si ty tancovala, -- for you to dance,
A ja žeby stála. -- and for me to stand/remain standing.

Na holi, na holi, -- On a bald mountain, on a bald mountain,
Na tej širočine -- a wide one/in the vastness,
Ved’ som sa vyspala -- I indeed slept
Ako na perine. -- like on a feather tick/featherbed.

Už sme pohrabaly, -- We're done raking,
Čo budeme robit’? -- what are we going to do?
S vŕšku do doliny -- From the hill/down the hill to the valley
Budeme sa vodit’. -- we'll walk together/hand in hand.

Gajdujte, gajdence,  -- Play, bagpipes,
Pôjdeme k frajerce! -- we'll go to our beloved(s)!
Ej, gajdujte vesele, -- Oh, play joyfully,
Ej, že pôjdeme smele! -- oh, so that we go bravely.

Zagajduj gajdoše! -- Play, bagpiper!
Ešte mám dva groše: -- I have 2 more groschen:
Ej, jedon gajdošovi, -- oh, one for the bagpiper,
A druhý krčmárovi. --  and the other one for the tavern keeper.

To bola kozička, -- That was a goat
Čo predok vodila, -- that would always be in the front/lead the herd
Ej, ale už nebude, -- but it won't any more,
Ej nôžky si zlomila. -- oh, it broke its legs.

Martin

votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu