Call for Proposals - 'Russia after the Collapse of Communism' Conference at Beloit College, March 2012

Donna Oliver oliverd at BELOIT.EDU
Fri Nov 11 14:58:56 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

On behalf of the Weissberg Program in Human Rights at Beloit College, I am
pleased to announce a call for submissions for a March 30-31, 2012
conference on "Russia after the Collapse of Communism:  Prospects for
Liberalization,"
<https://www.beloit.edu/weissberg/chair/dzhibladze/conference/>to be held
on the Beloit College campus.

Keynote speaker for the event will be Yuri
Dzhibladze<https://www.beloit.edu/weissberg/chair/dzhibladze/>,
the 2012 Weissberg Chair in Human Rights.  Dr. Dzhibladze is the founder
and president of the Moscow-based Center for the Development of Democracy
and Human Rights, a public policy and advocacy NGO.

A preliminary schedule<https://www.beloit.edu/weissberg/chair/dzhibladze/conference/>has
been posted. Depending on submissions, we anticipate panel discussions
on:

   - *The Communist Legacy*
   - *Multiethnic Societies and the Rise of Nationalism*
   - *Challenges to Society and Culture*
   - *Prospects for Democracy*

In conjunction with the conference, there will also be an exhibit and
gallery talk on "Friends and Enemies:  The Soviet Poster Collection at the
Beloit College Wright Museum of Art" and a screening of the documentary
film *Mikhail Gorbachev, Confidential* by director Gulya Mirzoeva.

We are looking for prepared remarks, not formal papers.

To submit a proposal, send to moorej at beloit.edu a 300-word abstract with
title, identifying the panel with which the submission most closely aligns.
Please  include:  name, title, institutional affiliation, and email and
telephone contact information. *Submission Deadline: December 1, 2011*. *
*
Sincerely,
Elizabeth Brewer
Director, International Education
Beloit College

--
Elizabeth Brewer, PhD
Director, International Education
Beloit College
700 College Street
Beloit, WI  53511
Tel. 608 363 2269 or 2280

Beloit College:  Recipient of the 2011 Simon Award for Comprehensive
Internationalization

*Integrating Study Abroad into the Curriculum:  Theory and Practice Across
the Disciplines
<http://goog_1802072433>*.<http://stylus.styluspub.com/books/BookDetail.aspx?productID=205808>
(2010) Brewer, E. and Cunningham, K. (Eds.).  Sterling, VA:  Stylus