Programs in translation studies

BAER, BRIAN bbaer at KENT.EDU
Wed Nov 16 02:33:20 UTC 2011

Thank you, C. Mills, for raising this important issue. I can say a few words about the current state of Translation Studies here in the US, which is, unfortunately, somewhat behind the curve in this field. There are not many master's level programs in Translation Studies at present in the US, although that number has  grown in the past few years. (MA level programs have recently opened at UIUC, NYU, and the University of Indianapolis-Purdue; I apologize if I've left out any programs.) There are far fewer doctoral level programs. As of today, there are, I believe, only three such programs in the US: Monterery, Binghamton U (where the degree is granted through the Comp Lit dept), and Kent State University, which has a large and well-established Masters program in Translation in French, German, Japanese, Russian and Spanish, as well as a doctoral program. The PhD program is non-language specific. We accommodate a wide variety of empirical (often corpus-based) and other methodol!
 ogical approaches, and our program is, if I might say, thriving--I have fourteen students this semester in my doctoral seminar on Current Trends in Translation Studies. We presently have three Russian doctoral students who are studying topics as diverse as cohesion in translated texts, the treatment of theme/rheme in translation, and Soviet translation history, as well as a Bosnian student who is investigating interpreting in conflicts of violence. Kent State hosts one of the only American-based scholarly journals in Translation Studies, Translation and Interpreting Studies (TIS), as well as a scholarly monograph series in TS (published by John Benjamins). (I am currently planning a special issue of the journal on translation in the Soviet Union.) For more information on the program, please visit our website (appling.kent.edu), or contact me directly at bbaer at kent.edu. BTW I would love to establish a working group of Slavists who are interested in Translation Studies.

Best,
Brian

Brian James Baer, PhD
Professor of Russian and Translation Studies
Coordinator of Graduate Studies, MCLS
Kent State University
Kent, OH  44242
email: bbaer at kent.edu

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Charles Mills [bowrudder at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:23 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Programs in translation studies

Dear Seelangers,

I have a friend who is asking for advice about good graduate study programs
in the field of translation studies.  I know that the Monterey Institute
has a program in T&I.  Other than that I draw a blank.  I can do an on-line
search as well as anyone (well, perhaps not as well as Wayles Brown!), but
I was hoping to draw on the vast experience of those out there.
 Specifically my colleague is looking for a program with an emphasis on
translation theory (more than one course).  Her language is Russian, but I
get the impression that is not her main concern.  You could reply to me off
line, but this seems like a topic that may be of general interest.

Sincerely,
C. Mills
Defense Language Institute
cmillsphd at gmail.com