Khrustit pod nogami: best translation?

Mon Nov 21 17:01:47 UTC 2011

John Dunn wrote:

> The original image is pretty silly (something you may not want to
> pass on to the supplier of the source text), so I suppose you have
> free rein, but I am not totally sure about your proposed translation.
> The problem is not so much that it is untrue (fibre optic doesn''t
> crunch beneath our feet either, and nor have I ever heard anyone say
> that it does), but that it inverts the spatial relationship between
> us and the cables: if fibre optic grew on trees it wouldn't be
> serving its intended purpose.  It also, rather more subtly, takes
> from the city to the country, unless, of course, you have the good
> fortune to live in the sort of city that has tree-lined streets.
>
> I did wonder about '... where the city streets are paved with fibre
> optic cable', which in some ways is close to the original, since if
> they were so paved, the stuff would crunch beneath our feet, but it
> still sounds odd to me.  If the choice were mine, I would therefore
> go for:  '... where rivers of fibre optic cable run beneath the city
> streets', which, if nothing else, preserves the spatial relationship.
> But you may well have come up with something better in the meantime.

I think you have something here, though I would prune it -- "where the
streets are paved with fiber" instantly recalls "where the streets are
paved with gold," a standard cliché for richness/abundance, and has the
added bonus of referring to urban environments where fiber optic cable
is prevalent. But I see no need to go out of the way to preserve the
spatial relationship, which after all is beside the point even if
accidentally true.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com