Suggestion for Khrustit pod nogami

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Tue Nov 22 20:31:50 UTC 2011

NOTE: Earlier I tried posting a reply to Paul Gallagher's query and his exchange with John Dunn on "khrustit pod nogami," but I must have messed up the recipe. Hope it works this time.

You might try "thick on the ground." It's not a locution that springs automatically to my mind when wrestling with such an idiom, but I actually heard someone on the radio use it the other day, and a google search brings up numerous citations and definitions, all relating to plentiful abundance. Xot' otbavliai!

There is also a commonly heard colloquialism, which sometime appears in print but is no doubt too vulgar for this case, involving the phrase "out the wazoo." That choice would require a slight recasting of the phrase it appears in.
"If we want a better world, we will have to be better people" - Philip Wylie (1902-1971
Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator
  The Syntax Whisperer