SEELANGS Facebook page

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sun Oct 9 02:29:38 UTC 2011

It may be a generational thing, but I use my email for professional
correspondence/discussion, and Facebook for more casual interactions. I
ignore Facebook unless I get a notice forwarded to me that looks of
some significance. Facebook is a place to get lost and distracted in!

Melissa Smith

On 10/8/11 11:37 AM, Susan LaVelle wrote:
> I also am a graduate student like Stephanie and I think that I would
discourage her from pursuing a facebook page for this listserve. The
additional traffic--especially from undergraduates--that facebook might
attract, would likely decrease the candor of the listserve. As it
stands now, a professor can recommend any student to be a listserve
member (that is why I am here), but opening the list up in the way that
facebook  might, would likely stifle the academic and collegial
atmosphere. Certainly professors should be recommending this listserve
to any graduate students that would benefit from it and perhaps they
need a reminder on occasion to keep doing it.

> What graduate students like about the listserve, or at least what I
like best about it, is to be able to be "a mouse in the corner" and
watch the professors and experts press forward their take on an issue,
along with its natural, and sometimes frisky, debate. I don't want to
make the academics less apt to contribute their free opinions. When
they argue out the current parameters of a subject, I learn a lot about
the topic's past and present direction and the nuances of the
discussion.

> For most students, I think that the crucial thing is for their
professors and instructors to bring to their attention the useful
websites and resources that will help them make progress and develop
their interests where they are at. I have seen on this listserve, for
example, information by Prof R Robin (sorry if I got the name wrong),
with that kind of great information useful to undergraduates.

> I think that perhaps a useful service for someone like Stephanie would
be to start a facebook page or a blog for students of Russian that
incorporates and keeps current lots of these resources for the use of
undergraduates. Many times SEELANGS brings to light things that
undergraduates would find useful, like the MOSFILMS available free on
the internet or the dictionaries just added to the Russian Archive on
the SRAS webpage (http://www.sras.org/russian_archive_access). Of
course, there is already some of this, but usually from the perspective
of various institutional sources, not from a student's perspective.
You, Stephanie, may be poised to do something like that.

> Susan LaVelle

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and