Grammatical mistakes

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Oct 17 18:09:23 UTC 2011

Don't know about Finns. Maybe the smallness of the overall population
has something to do with it, but I still doubt it, but Russians of
course make mistakes. Otherwise we would not have hundreds of books
called Правильность речи or Правильно ли
мы говорим? or Трудности русского языка
which all emphasize the mistakes, and ever present radio programs on
the same subject and in answer to people questions. The difference is
in attitude to mistakes.

On Oct 17, 2011, at 1:43 PM, George Kalbouss wrote:

> 	The question I have is this:  "do Russians make grammatical errors?"

> 	A few years back, I was taking a seminar in the Finnish language in
> Finland.
> After going through practicums in incredible rules of grammar,
> declensions, exceptions, etc.,
> one of the participants in the group asked the instructors the same
> question, i.e.,
> "do Finns make grammatical errors?"  The instructors seemed visibly
> lost in answering
> the question,  their first inclination was to say, "no they don't"
> -- yet an answer like
> that seemed positively silly.

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian